The Ohio Coalition for Open Government (OCOG) is a tax-exempt 501 (c)(3) corporation established by the Ohio News Media Foundation in June 1992. The Coalition is operated for charitable and educational purposes by conducting and supporting activities to benefit those who seek compliance with public access laws. It is also affiliated with a national network of similar state coalitions.
The Coalition serves as a clearinghouse for media and citizen grievances that involve open meetings and open records, and offers guidance to reporters in local government situations. The activities of the Coalition include monitoring government officials for compliance, filing “amicus” briefs in lawsuits, litigation and public education.
The annual memberships to OCOG, as approved by the board, entitle a group or individual the use of the new FOI telephone hotline, handled directly by attorneys at Baker & Hostetler in Cleveland, and subscription to the newsletter.
As appointed by the Ohio News Media Foundation board
- Dennis Hetzel (President), Ohio Newspaper Association
- Monica Nieporte (Chair), The Messenger, Athens
- David Marburger (Counsel), Cleveland
- Monica Dias, Frost Brown Todd, Cincinnati
- Ken Douthit, Douthit Communications, Sandusky
- Edward Esposito, Rubber City Radio Group, Akron
- Bill Southern, The Blade, Toledo
- George Rodrigue, The Plain Dealer, Cleveland
- Catherine Turcer, Common Cause Ohio, Columbus
ONA staff liaison: Jason Sanford & Sue Bazzoli